Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Sunday Review: Catching Up Edition

It feels good to be back from my self-imposed exile and back among my fellows in the Speculative Fiction blog-O-sphere. I had a lot of catching up to do and lucky for you I came across some great content this week.

Starting us off Plinydogg at the Speculative Fiction Junkie has pledged not to buy another book for 3 months. While I'd like to lend my morale support by abstaining from book buying myself unfortunately the release of The City & The City, The Angel's Game, Nights of Villajmur and Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd America will all prevent me from doing so. Bets are also being taken to how long he'll last. Highlander is wagering he'll only be able to last 3 weeks. My money is on him lasting the whole three months though. He comes across as a guy that sticks to his guns.

While your placing your bets also check out this review of Bill Hussey's The Absence and his review of the book I'm currently in the midst of Act of Will by A.J. Hartley

If you're looking for another opinion on The Absence by Bill Hussey check out Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. After reading both reviews I'm really looking forward to reading some of Hussey's work but I'm having a hell of a time tracking down his first novel Through The Glass, Darkly. Might have to import it.

Speaking of importing I'm going to do just that through amazon.co.uk for Mark Charan Newton's latest novel Nights of Valljamur. The Fantasy Book Critic also has a stellar interview with Mark posted so make sure to check that out as well.

Also stumbled upon Highlander's Book Reviews for the first time this past week and was veryl impressed with his review of Rain by Conrad Williams. I think I'm going to have to track down a copy of it for myself. I was also purviewing the archives and came across his review of Read by Dawn: Volume 3. Hadn't heard of this anthology before but looks very interesting.

I mentioned it on her blog but I'll mention it again here Mulluane is a book reviewing machine! Her reviews of A Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone were excellent. I really like her review style. It's very informal and reads as if she's a friend giving you advice of what to read next. Not content to rest on her laurels though she's already reviewing a new series of books starting with Book 1 of the Worldweavers Series: Gift of the Unmage.

Last thing I wanted to mention was as I was reading The Blood of the Muse and took a look at A Note About Review Grades. His philosophy about reviewing books really resonated with me so for all you bloggers out there I think its worth a gander.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the vote of confidence in my ability to last the whole 3 months. I hope I don't disappoint!

    I'm also glad you found Highlander's Book Reviews, which is one of my favorite review sites out there.

    I hope you're enjoying Act of Will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pressure, either way it'll make for good reading. If you end up caving and buying a book you'll just get a hard time from a few of us! :)

    Yeah his site is great I've been jotting down a ton of books I have to read in the future here.

    I just finished Act of Will, another good recommendation, should have my review for it up in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your review of Act of Will. A sequel is scheduled for sometime next year....

    ReplyDelete