Thursday, May 28, 2009

June Releases I'm Excited About

With May winding down and June quickly approaching I thought I'd share with you the new releases that I'm excited about. These four books are all ones that I'll be picking up upon their release.

An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat by Glen Cook
Release Date:
TBD (Preorders are shipping at the moment so shouldn't be long before anyone can get their hands on a copy.)

I've been looking forward to the release of this book for months now. I preordered my copy back in February and my credit card was just charged yesterday so think its on its way. (Fingers Crossed)

This book collects of all the short fiction set in the Dread Empire along with a brand new story from Cook entitled "Hell's Forge." Apparently it's a story of haunted pirates in far off lands. Arrrrr! Can't wait to read the pirate's tale and catch up with my old friends Mocker and Bragi.

Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton
Release Date: June 5, 2009 (UK Only Release)

This book is the current belle of the blogosphre in that it's the pretty girl that everyone seems to have a crush on. This book has garned so many rave reviews I'm in a fever pitch to get my hands on it. Unfortunately for us in the good ole' USA its only going to see a U.K. release.

Fortunately we live in the Internet Age and can get our hands on anything we want. Including The Nights of Villjamur. I've already preordered my copy from www.amazon.co.uk. Have you?

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Release Date: June 16, 2009


The Angel's Game is Zafon's follow-up to The Shadow of the Wind. This one is a no brainer for me. With the Shadow of the Wind Zafon crated an amazing story that I recommend everyone reading (immediately!)

It appears that this novel will loosely follow the events of Shadow of the Wind with the story happening a few years down the road featuring a new cast of characters. If it's even 50% as good as the Shadow of the Wind I'm going to love it.

Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd Century America by Robert Charles Wilson
Release Date: June 23, 2009


Lastly that brings us to Robert Charles Wilson's Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd Century America. In my review of Julian: A Christmas Story I noted how the novella felt like a chapter in an overall larger biographical work and this my friends is that larger biographical work. It'll be interesting to see how Wilson expands the story. For those of you who haven't read the original its narrative is almost Twain-like in its delivery and the alternate history that Wilson has created is fascinating.

Nice how the release dates worked out. Leaves me with roughly one new book a week.

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy to say that my book is a tart as well as a belle: she's sold her soul to Del Rey in the States, although there's no release date set. But I hope you enjoy her, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to The Angel's Game and Julian Comstock as well. I also could probably be convinced to read Villjamur too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mark: Nicely done. I've been sitting here for the last few minutes trying to come up with a witty reply; I'm afraid I've failed.

    But seriously congrats on Del Ray picking up the book and also don't worry I'll treat her right, I'll be the perfect gentleman. (during my review.)Okay, I think I'm going to stop referring to your novel as a woman from now on as I'm beginning to even creep myself out.

    @Pliny, great minds think alike.

    Also I don't think I'll have to twist your arm too much to give Villjamur a go.

    ReplyDelete