Saturday, May 9, 2009

Collector's Corner: Patrick Rothfuss's First Book

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is one of my favorite fantasy novels of the last few years and I've been an ardent collector of his work which is quite easy to do as he's only released only one full length novel. After reading his blog however it was brought to my attention that in 2005 a book entitled Your Annotated, Illustrated College Survival Guide Volume 1 by Patrick Rothfuss with B.J. Hiorns was released from Cornerstone Press, University of Wisconsin.

Tracking this book down was no easy task as the print run was quite small. Rothfuss himself believes there to be roughly 500 copies in circulation. I have heard from other collectors that the amount printed could be closer to 700 copies. Either way it's a difficult book to get your hands on.

Wanting to add this book to my collection I scoured amazon.com, abebooks and alibris to no avail. Then I turned to eBay; land of the rare, quirky and hard to find items where as luck would have it someone had a BIN (Buy It Now) on a signed copy of College Survival Guide for $40.00 shipping included. So with a big grin in on my face I purchased the book and two weeks ago I recieved it in the mail:


Happy with the condition of the book and as I'm wont to do with most new book purchases I put kid gloves on and began skimming the book. There's some great illustrations from Rothfuss that anyone familiar with his blog will immediality recognize his illustration style. After reading a few articles I must say it was good for a chuckle or two. The book is a collection of the first four years of a humor column Rothfuss wrote and is very similiar to the informal writing style you'll find on his blog.

Content with knowing that I have a copy of Rothfuss's first book I gently placed it in a place of honor upon my shelf and began searching for that next hard to find tome for my collection.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I've been thinking about trying to track down the guide as well. I recently posted news about a Rothfuss short story appearing in a collection here:

    http://booktionary.blogspot.com/2009/05/patrick-rothfuss-new-short-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mad Hatter,

    I just checked out the post and I'd definitely like to read the story especially if it is in fact a couple chapters from "The Wise Man's Fear" which the manuscript is finally done for! :)

    Also I've really enjoyed the guide and I think it's a great addition to any collection.

    I added you to my sites to visit so I'll be checking in to see what's going on in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete