Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reflections On My Collections #2


If I can do a little bragging for a second, anyone else notice how many great small press publisher's Michigan produces? Moving from Phantasia Press we go into the current King of the Hill when it comes to genre publishing that of course being Michigan publisher Subterranean Press.

The copy of Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest is the second copy I've purchased. This one isn't for me though. I'm visiting one of my best friends along with his wife down in Atlanta in March and I decided he might need a little bit of southern discomfort in the form of Cherie Priest's southern fried horror.

Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest I'll admit is for me. As are Allen Steele's The Last Science Fiction Writer and Proteus Sails Again by Thomas M. Disch.

White Noise Press produces some of the best looking chapbooks I've ever seen. The three above are the first three I've managed to get my hands on, but in the future I'm going to try and add some more to my collection. Just leafing through these books the artwork and attention to detail is awesome. Plus The Last Stand of the Great Texas Patrack is something I can relate to: It's a story of a man when his love of books and book collecting become more than just an innocent obsession. I'll have to make sure to keep my priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment