Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Sunday Review Review: What's In A Name Edition?

I was really struggling to come up with a name for this blog, I wanted something in line with some of the great taverns that inhabit the worlds we love so much. Names like The Prancing Pony and The Old Plow. I toyed with calling it The Boisterous Balverine but wasn’t sure how many people were familiar with the Werewolf like Balverines from Fable II. So instead I decided to go with The Ostentatious Ogre.


I find the name suits both the site and me. Because to be entirely honest I can be a bit boorish and I don’t think my friends call me Shrek because of my good looks. In fact I know they call me Shrek because of my ogre like physique and oversized feet, the bastards.


So that out of the way here are some reviews I’ve enjoyed reading over the last week:


Now before I link it up here I just want to say that whoever is making these covers ala the ones that don the covers of Brian Ruckley's books and the one in the next review; please stop. I think the covers are just atrocious. Good review though of Giles Kristian's Raven: Blood Eye even if the reviewer did like the aforementioned sucky cover art.


Over at The Antick Musings of G.B.H Hornswagller, Gentlemen, he has taken the time to review his mail. Thus it counts as a review and can go in this post. His Mail.


It takes a big man to admit when a book completely baffles him. So kudos to Joe Sherry at Adventures In Reading and his honest review of Schimater Plus by Bruce Sterling. Don't worry Joe we've all been there.


Aiden at a Dribble of Ink has a fantastic review up at the moment of Blood Ties by Pamela Freedman, the author even stops by in the comments!


Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews has reminded me of a book I need to read sooner rather the later. The book in question? The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski


That's all for now my friends look for a review of The Skin Trade by George R.R. Martin early next week.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link!

    I'm a big fan of the name, but would have been just as excited for The Boisterous Balverine, being a big Fable fan myself!

    ~Aidan
    A Dribble of Ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem.

    I always figure there's got to be at least a little overlap between games and Fantasy/Sci-Fi. Both the Fables are classic games in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete